starting hiv medicine

hello Dr McGowan and Dr Young. Happy new year to you both. My partner has hiv wild type virus (is this the correct description?) he had a resistance test and is fully susceptible to all hiv meds, he is on truvada and sustiva, my question is neither of us "sleep around" and have contracted the virus from either me or him, I am not on meds yet, do you think i will be susceptible to all meds as well? with many thanks

Response from Dr. McGowan

Happy New Year to you too! There is no way to be sure without having your virus tested. A person may harbor some resistant and some wild-type virus and pass either or both to another person. Also, over time some of the resistant virus may fade into the background and be missed by the resistance test. That is because the wild-type virus usually grows more efficiently than some resistant virus and will overgrow it. So the best thing is to have a baseline resistance test to be sure.

Good luck, JOe

Alison
TENOFOVIR GEL