Red Rash after Med Switch

I have been on Atripla for over 2 years with great success and no Side effects. Since I have been out of the United States I have had to switch to the local equivalent here in Thailand which is a combination of 600mg Stocrin, 300 mg Viread & 300mg Lamivudeine all taken at the same time at night.

After the First night of taking this medication I began having what I would call a fairly instant reaction consisting of what looks like a red Rash or Hives on my feet back & Torso, along with a heat and itching sensation. It usually comes and goes through out the following day but then comes back aggressively within 15 minutes of taking the new medication. Does this symptom sounds related to the new medication if so, why would this happen? Will it stop after a few weeks? I have been told it is the same medication as Atripla. Please, any advise you can give me would be great! Thanks for everything you guys do for us!

Response from Dr. McGowan

It is true that the medication is the same in Atripla as in Viread, Epivir, and Stocrin. However, sometimes the substances used to bind the pills and the dyes used in the pills (not the active drug itself) can cause an allergic reaction. If the reaction is mild, it may fade with continued use, sometimes an antihistamine (e.g. diphenhydramine, etc) may help. How long will you be out of the country?

Good luck,

JOe

Good Combo Therapy?
should i give up?