I am allergic to sulfa based meds. Can I take Prezista?

My dr. did a genotype and suggested Prezista as a med to take. I am allergic to bactrim and sulfa based meds. Is Prezista safe? My reaction to bactrim was severe enough to hospitalize me back in 1990. Thanks Dennis

Response from Dr. McGowan

There is an increased risk of having a rash or allergic reaction to Prezista (darunavir) if you have had a sulfa reaction. There is no contraindication to using it, but careful monitoring would be needed. The risk and benefit of the treatment would have to be balanced...things to consider would be the severity of the sulfa reaction, the availability of alternatives to Prezista that may not carry the risk, and the availability of close monitoring by your doctor.

Good luck, Joe

What s best for starting?
Doctor doesn't want to start theraphy