Feb 3, 2009
I was HIV negative and about a week ago I slept with a guy and we didnt use protection and within 72hrs I consulted my GP and he prescribed Combivir and instructed me to be on medication for 30 days. Now my problem is I drank alcohol and took the medication afterward, does it have Impact on my progress. (Is is true that when acted 72hrs after unprotected sex chances are you might not be infected with HIV. Please help because I'm really worried, It is for the 1st time I became so wreckless.
Response from Dr. Young
1) It's good that you started PEP withint 72 hours of exposure, since the effectiveness falls off thereafter.
2) Alcohol generally doesn't have any significant negative impact on the effectiveness of Combivir (or other PEP regimens).
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What If You Drink And Eat After A Person That Has Hiv And Aids?
- Can You Get Hiv From Saliva To Blood?
- What Are The Best Exercises For Peripheral Neuropathy?
- How Long Does It Take To Develop Antibodies To Hiv?
- Pathophysiology Of Aids Hiv
- Does A Woman Who Have Hiv Or Aids Get Their Period?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.