Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Frequent blood giving
Jan 29, 2009

First, this website helped me cope with the problems I'm facing with HIV. I believe the people here deserve a big praise cuz they are making a big impact!

This might be an ignorant question, but its a thought. Since HIV multiplies itself to infect cd4 cells, would giving out blood regularly (just flushing blood in healthy amounts) be of any good in cutting down HIV in blood? any specific body parts where HIV is concentrated in blood? any research done on that? references would be really appreciated.

Thank you so much for having this website, and I pray for everyone to always be healthy!

M.D

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear M.D.

Blood donations would not be of much help since the virus multiplies so quickly. Unless the virus is suppressed (not allowed to make copies of itself) it can quickly target cells as they come out of the bone marrow. HIV tends to preferentially infect activated and memory T cells in the circulation, but through its interaction with one of its 2 corectors (CXCR4) it can also infect naive (new) CD4 cells. The virus can be present in all tissues of the body (even in the brain). The success of new treatments to keep the virus suppressed is much greater than the temporary dip that may occur after a blood donation. It is always important for us all to keep thinking and looking for ways to attack this virus.

Thanks, Joe

Previous
what's next
Next
What does it mean?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.