Frequent blood giving

First, this website helped me cope with the problems I'm facing with HIV. I believe the people here deserve a big praise cuz they are making a big impact!

This might be an ignorant question, but its a thought. Since HIV multiplies itself to infect cd4 cells, would giving out blood regularly (just flushing blood in healthy amounts) be of any good in cutting down HIV in blood? any specific body parts where HIV is concentrated in blood? any research done on that? references would be really appreciated.

Thank you so much for having this website, and I pray for everyone to always be healthy!

M.D

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear M.D.

Blood donations would not be of much help since the virus multiplies so quickly. Unless the virus is suppressed (not allowed to make copies of itself) it can quickly target cells as they come out of the bone marrow. HIV tends to preferentially infect activated and memory T cells in the circulation, but through its interaction with one of its 2 corectors (CXCR4) it can also infect naive (new) CD4 cells. The virus can be present in all tissues of the body (even in the brain). The success of new treatments to keep the virus suppressed is much greater than the temporary dip that may occur after a blood donation. It is always important for us all to keep thinking and looking for ways to attack this virus.

Thanks, Joe

what's next
What does it mean?