|Has any one ever been saved?
Jan 28, 2009
Has anyone ever been cured of AIDS using HAART? How many diseases cross react with the ELIZA, Western Blot and Viral Load tests? Why does serum have to be diluted 1:400 for a HIV test. If Adenoma viral particles are used for vaccines, could false positives be due to other viruses. Are the vaccines not meant to make the receipients HIV positive? What is really happening to objective science?
| Response from Dr. Young
Wow, a broad range of questions.
1) HAART does not cure HIV infection, but when administered appropriately can prevent the progression of HIV to AIDS or reverse the immune damage from AIDS.
2) Many conditions will cause a false positive ELISA test- this is precisely why the test is a screening test. HIV infection is confirmed by the Western blot test (following a positive ELISA screen). HIV viral load tests are not really used to diagnose HIV, but can certainly be confirmatory. The specificity of the WB and viral load (PCR) tests are very, very high and false positives (especially if confirmed by repeat testing) are essentially unheard of.
3) Serum is diluted when there are high levels of antibody present. The number reported represents the lowest dilution that detects the target antigen (e.g, HIV). The higher the number, the higher the level of antibodies present. Hence an antibody titer of 1:400 says that HIV antibodies are still detected in 1/400th concentration of the serum- a high level indeed.
4) Adenoma virus-based vaccine themselves shouldn't increase the rate of false positive confirmatory tests.
5) Vaccines won't make recipients HIV infected, though could result in a need to reinterpret the Western blot tests, since it's likely that increased immune response will cause some bands in the WB to be positive (but not all). This situation is precisely what happened after the introduction of hepatitis B vaccinations. Here, HBV surface antigen is used to vaccinate recipients; a positive vaccine response results in a positive HBV surface antibody; testing for other HBV antibodies should remain negative.
6) Objective science? What's your point? Clearly, the previous Executive administration often subverted science in favor of policy (or faith) based decisions. If you refer to HIV, there is a 20 year history of evidence-based science that has yielded a detailed understanding of the virus, the disease (and complications) and treatments.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.