CD4 @ 295 in acute infection

Hi Dr Young Thank you for being there and easing our minds knowing you are there with the answers to our questions. I finaly got to have my blood drawn yesterday and saw the hiv specialist today. My cd4s are 295 the results for viral load I will have next month my Dr wants to wait and see if my cd4s go up because i am in acute infection stage of hiv I was infected in Oct/08 do you think waiting to see if they go up is a good idea or will I be loosing more cd4s needlesly. Also when I had a cbc done in november my lyphocyte count was 11300 per microliter I searched the internet and everything said chronic lymphocytosis leukemia this scared the hell out of me but with the new cbc done yesterday my lymphocyte count was back in the normal range, 2700 per microliter. Do you see this often in your patients everthing I read said lymphocytes go down in acute infection yet mine went way up and then back down could you tell me what you think of this also I fell light headed often the Dr thinks it is because of hiv invasion of the cns do you agree with is opiniion and if so will it go away.\with increased cd4. Thank you

Hello and thanks for your post.

First off, rest easily--you don't have lymphocytic leukemia. Lymphocyte counts can go up dramatically (and usually transiently) during acute viral infections of any kind (including HIV).

As for your CD4s, it's also not unusual for CD4 counts to drop during acute infection, only to rebound back to a higher level in the following months. If I were your doctor, I'd be monitoring your levels closely (at least monthly), as it is not unheard of patients to develop AIDS complications during this acute phase (because of the sometimes very low CD4s).

If your counts don't rebound above 350 (or if you are older (above 50, lets say)), then I'd be considering starting HIV medications in order to prevent any serious HIV complications (or further loss of CD4s).

Be well, BY

is it a cure for hiv
Has any one ever been saved?