Starting Meds after 12 years in a Foreign country

Hi, I was diagnosed about 11 years ago now and haven't taken any meds. But recently I have had Bronchitis that I just can't shake, it scared me and woke me up about taking better care of my body. I haven't had a CD4 count for 11 years so intend on doing that soon. My only problem is that I live in Bangkok, and my Thai is not the best. What kind of things should I be asking when I go for my CD4 count, and what numbers am I looking for. I was always thoguht ignorance was bliss, but now I know I was wrong and hope it's not too late . Thanks for the website and your help.

Hello and thank you for your post from Thailand.

I'd agree that it probably is time to take better care of your body-- there are excellent HIV resources in Thailand; it would be a shame not to take advantage of them.

So, yes, you should see a HIV specialist doctor (or nurse) and get laboratory testing and clinical evaluation. CD4 counts below 350 are indicators of considering HIV medications, below 200 are levels that define AIDS and serious risk of complications.

If you search this forum's category on HIV Monitoring Tests or When to Start Treatment, you'll get a better sense of what these numbers mean.

Be well and thanks for reading.

BY

Combivir+Viread Side Effects
Truvada e Stocrin Vs Atripla