curing HIV

I have been treating HIV since 2006 with Sustiva and Epzicom. In Nov. 2008, I began going to see a Chi Qigong Master. After four sessions, he told me he could no longer detect the virus. I stopped taking my medications and tested again 3 weeks later. I am still undetectable and Cd4 is 488. I plan to test again in three months. My body feels as if I am no longer "at war". I know I have to retest again and am planning to in three months. What further course do you recommend?

Response from Dr. McGowan

It can take a variable amount of time for HIV to rebound after being undetectable on treatment. If tested too soon you may not be detecting the rebound. I would not wait 3 months to repeat your testing, that is much too long. Treatment interruption strategies have not been shown to be helpful (and in fact can be harmful). You should see your medical provider to discuss this, especially if you have any symptoms of a viral rebound (flu like syndrome with fevers, swollen glands, sweats, etc). I do believe that modalities such as acupuncture, massage and Qigong can help as complementary therapies, but should not be a substitute for antiviral therapy when it is indicated.

Good luck, Joe

Not a question, more of a comment
what's next