Massive drop in CD4

First off, thank you for the most informative HIV website on the net. You really helped me out when I first found out that I was positive.

My question is, back in October I had my labs drawn (on Kaletra and Truvada) and my viral load was undetectable and my CD4 was 1,383. I just moved back to Chicago in November and had my labs drawn in December, and my viral load is still undetectable but my CD4 dropped to 163. Is that possible? My doctor said he's never seen anything like that and did another blood drawl today. He believes the lab was skewed somehow, and just wanted your opinion.

Thanks again and have a good one!

Hello and thanks for your post.

It sounds like a lab error to me- they aren't common fortunately, but if you're otherwise feeling well and haven't missed a ton of medications, there's no reason to suspect that your CD4 should have plummeted.

A repeat test is clearly in order.

Let us know how things turn out for you.

Be well, BY

Atripla and feeling weird
substitute for norvir