HIV and pregnancy

Hi Doc, I am planning to have a baby, I am currently on Truvada and Stocrin. My doctor is going to change my meds since Stocrin causes severe side effects to the unborn babies. When can I start with the process of trying to fall pregnant? Is it 1,2 or more months after stopping the intake of Stocrin?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) is associated with a greater risk of birth defects, especially during the first trimester of pregnancy. It's for this reason that your doctor is recommending switching to an alternative medication.

Though there isn't any formal recommendation (that I'm aware of) on this topic, I'd think that waiting 1 month after the switch to conceive should be adequate to decrease this risk.

Best of luck and health to you.

BY

Atripla, African Americans and Garlic
Condom Break, is there use of PEP after 90 Hrs.