For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Infection with resistance virus

I have been diagnosed nearly a year ago and recently started medication and had resistance test which just came back. It shows that I have developed some resistance. Since I have not been taking drugs before I must have been infected with it. The nurse says that the person who infected me must have known about HIV and had taken drugs before. The question is it possible that the person didn't know, but was also infected by somebody with the virus with resistance and thus passed it on to me? Thanks

Hello and thanks for your post

In brief, yes. It's entirely possible that someone who's infected with resistant virus to pass this virus to someone else, and so on and so on. Indeed, in the US, over 10% of new infections are with virus that carries drug resistance.

ARV's & Alcohol
Atripla, African Americans and Garlic