Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re What does it (AIDS and illness) look like??
Jan 21, 2009

Hi Dr.Young,

I admire all of your answers and advice. Even though I am very happy with my ID DR, I wish you were my doctor.

Anyway, I read his posting and I have something to share. While I understand his hesitation on starting meds and not wanting it to affect his current lifestyle, I can honestly say that all we patients are being asked is good adherence. I remember he said he just bought a company and it is a very important part of his life, but if he dies of AIDS, excuse me but isn't it rather selfish of him to leave the mess behind for employees and his family to handle? Also he said that he would rather die of AIDS than meds controlling his lifestyle, I too thought about it before, when I still hadn't started my meds, I ended up in ICU for dehydration and high fever around 104 degrees. I remember I could not think straight while fever lasted and I was dellusional too. I hoped I was dead the next morning but I was still alive, suffering. In my opinion, dying from AIDS does not come so conveniently and quickly like car accidents do. I was allergic to many meds, including the ones to prevent PCP(I ended up not taking it at all). After discharged from the hospital, well I left against medical advise though, I called my ID DR and he prescribed Atripla. I had no time to experiment meds to see my tolerence. Luckily Atripla worked for me and in 2 weeks or so, I was already feeling well and "ALIVE". Now I appreciate life more than when I was HIV-. Taking meds on time everyday was stressful for me in the begining, but this is the consequence I had to face for my old action and I'd rather be responsible for my own life than giving it all up.

As for side effects, other meds gave me rash and severe abd pains and I just could not take them but Atripla works just fine for me. I even enjoy dreams, sometimes the dreams are so real almost re-living the day before, or sometimes completely unreal. I enjoy them both, waking up in the morning and laugh when I remember the details.

I guess my point being, you just have to sacrifice a little convenience to live a life, with or without HIV/AIDS. For being HIV/AIDS patients, that sacrifice is keep taking meds that help us live our lives to the fullest.

Thank you for reading and hope he can reconsider about giving up.

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you so much for sharing your very personal story.

Sounds like you have an excellent doctor who's worked through some difficult times with you.

Should you ever be in Denver and need a doctor, just look me up.

Be well,

BY

Previous
what do i do?
Next
Zmax and HIV meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.