Type of Meds

My girlfriend was just diagnosed and the doctor has precribed Reyataz, zidovudine and norvir, my question is with this combo, would that suggest that it is unsafe to plan a pregnacy

Thanks

Herb

Hello Herb and thanks for your post.

First off, I hope that your GF is taking a 4th medication in addition to the medications you list. As a first-line treatment, in addition to the Norvir-boosted Reyataz, she should be receiving two NRTI medications-- this would typically be a medication like 3TC (lamivudine) or FTC (emtricitabine), in addition to the AZT (zidovudine).

As for pregnancy-- plenty of HIV+ women get pregnant every year (bears witness to the pediatric HIV problem); but can have healthy children if the mothers receive HIV medications and good pre-natal care.

If you and she are interested in having children, I'd discuss this with your GF's medical team.

Be well, BY

Not taking medications, but you should.
cost increases