health supplement is not necessary for hiv patients?

hi there,

first of all, i wanna say thank you for all things you do in this website, its really very helpful and informative.

i have diagnosed with hiv + in year 2006, i started medication in 2007, i have just gone for my appointment treatment last week, and i mentioned to my doc that i'm taking a health product (started oct 08) for my vitamins, minerals and fibres daily supply, which is quite a good product and it works well on me. My doc suggested to me that i actually don't have to take such supplements, cos he said it may affect the drug i'm currently taking. i'm so confused???? isn't hiv patient need to take more food supplement in this case? please advice, Doc Ben Young. thanks alot!

Hello and thanks for your post.

I agree with your doctor.

For most patients in the developed world who have access to adequate supplies of food, the best nutritional supplement isn't a pill, but rather a balanced diet. I personally don't think that the majority of patients require nutritional supplements (it's mostly a very unregulated marketing scam, IMHO).

There is a potential for some supplements to interact negatively with HIV medications- an important reason to make sure that your HIV healthcare provider knows about all of the medications and supplements that you take.

I hope this helps.

Be well, BY

pulmonia disease
Bad reactions from meds?!