PCP

My brother has just been admitted with PCP (also has thrush). He's been HIV positive for a few years, and they're talking about starting him on meds. What types of questions should we be asking. Do you know of any good doctors in the Chicago area? Not real pleased with the hospital here as he was there twice in one week and the first time they sent him home with antibiotics for bronchitis.

Hello and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I'm surprised that if he's been under a doctor's care that he hadn't yet been started on HIV treatments (in light of the fact that he now has PCP).

With a PCP diagnosis, he now has AIDS and should certainly start on HIV treatments as soon as possible. (Be aware that PCP can sometimes be difficult to diagnose and a earlier, if incorrect diagnosis of bronchitis does happen, even in experienced HIV care centers.)

Fortunately, there are very good HIV doctors in the Chicago area. Many of the University centers (University of Illinois, Rush, Cook County Hospital, Northwestern, to name a few) have world-class HIV care providers. I'd start by contacting the AIDS service organization in your area; feel free to write back with details as to where in Chicago he lives...

Best of health to both of you, BY

Doctors in NY City
CSS