The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doctors in NY City
Jan 19, 2009

My son was diagnoised with HIV in 2006. The first Dr. told him he didn't believe in treatment this early. My son hasn't been to a Dr. in 1-1/2 years. He does get common illnesses (cold/flu)like I do and many others who are not diagnoised with HIV. He recovers just as most of us do so no action was taken. He recently developed shingles around the knee so I am very concerned he may be in Stage 2. He needs a Dr. in NY City who is experienced in working with patients. He was recently laid off from his good paying job so finances are an issue as well.

Response from Dr. Young

Yikes, your son hasn't seen a doctor in 1 1/2 years?

This is the crux of my concern. All persons with HIV infection should be seen regularly by a doctor and have regular laboratory monitoring. Even persons without clinical symptoms can have very serious declines in immune function- hence one can't use symptoms as a measure of whether or not to see their HIV specialist. A bout of shingles further raises the possibility that your son's health could be compromised.

Yes, indeed, your son does need to see a HIV specialist and fortunately, there are many in the NYC area.

A first step would be to contact your son's case manager or AIDS service organization for references to doctors and healthcare providers. Let me know what burrough you live in and maybe we can make specific recommendations.

Best of health to you and your son, BY

Candida and Valtrex

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint