Response to medication.

Hello Dr Young!

Happy New Year from London, UK. Hope you had a great holiday!

Quick question:

Just got my first results from week two after starting medication. (Truvada & Isentress study. I am treatment naive, sensitive to ALL classes)

The day before I started meds, my VL was >214K, CD4 was 223 and CD4% 21. On exactly 2 weeks after starting meds, VL was 614, CD4 was 265 and CD4% 24.

Does this seem to you as a good response to my meds? Is that fast response, excepted or slow? I am scared about developing resistance to my meds in the time between now and undetecable. Is that possible?

Your scientific opinion is always greatly appreciated and extremely valued.

G, London, UK.

Good day and hello from the other side of the pond.

You indeed have had an excellent initial response to the Truvada+Isentress regimen. Your viral load has dropped just shy of 3 orders of magnitude (or 3 log10). This is an exceptional drop, one that we have come to expect now from Isentress regimens. We'd typically be happy to see such decreases after 2 or 3 months of treatment.

So long as you didn't have pre-exisiting drug resistance (screened for in your study, I'm pretty sure), you shouldn't have to worry about drug resistance at this time.

Best of health to you in the new year. Keep us posted as to your progress-- many readers have an intense interest in Isentress for first-line treatment.

BY

Meds
last stage of hiv