Taking Sustiva / Truvada Together

Hi Doctor,

I have been on Truvada / Sustiva for the past month, will be getting tested in a couple of days to see my reaction to the regimen (keep your fingers crossed).

I am currently taking Truvada in the morning (say 8ish) and Sustiva around 11pm. But this is getting kind of annoying, since I have to be home to take my pills (I do not want to disclose my status to many people), and it is difficult to do so twice a day, everyday.

My first question is, is it OK to take both of them together, say in the morning (as opposed to the suggested before bedtime)? I have no side effects so not too worried there.

Second question is, how do I make the switch? Do I postpone taking Sustiva until the morning to take it with Truvada, or do I take both? I do not want any drug resistance to build so soon!

Thanks!

Thanks for your post.

There's no reason that you should have to take your regimen on a twice-daily basis. Both the Truvada and Sustiva can be taken at once (as is done in the triple combo, Atripla). Because of Sustiva's propensity to cause psychological side effects, the regimen is most commonly taken at bedtime, rather in in the morning.

How to switch? I'd just reserve your morning Truvada dose until the evening, then take it together with your Sustiva. Being late by 10-12 hours on a single dose won't be of any consequence.

Be well, BY

new treatment in line
Timing of doses