PEP question

Hello. I have just recently had a high risk encounter with a female sex worker in Asia. I went to the emergency within 72 hours, took blood samples and was given 4 Kaletra tablets and 2 Combivir tablets. I've read some conflicting info about the regiment lasting a month or only a few tablets based on the severity of risk. Do I need to continue for the month or do you think these pills will be sufficient? Thank you for your time.

Hello and thanks for posting.

To me, post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is like pregnancy- you either take it or you don't. So, once the assessment is that there was a high-risk exposure, then PEP should be taken.

In my view, this means a three (or 4) drug regimen for 4 weeks. Fewer numbers of days are often supplied in the heat of the decision because time is of the essence (in terms of starting) and it's not unusual that additional information about the source patient (in your case, probably not) emerges that changes the risk assessment.

The combination of Combivir+Kaletra is a commonly prescribed PEP regimen.

Hope this helps. Be safe out there.

BY

Question about questions
COLD-FX and HIV Meds - interaction ?