Cost of Meds

One question I have not seen addressed is the cost of Meds. Typically, are they covered by insurance? Im HIV+ now for 1 year. May need to go on soon, forgot to ask Doc about that. Atripla will be the Med of choice. What about shopping the price from Rx to Rx?

Thanks!

Thanks for your post.

In the US, the vast majority of patients do not have to pay the full cost of medications. On one extreme, all major insurance policies cover HIV medications- some have fixed copayments, others have subscribers pay a percentage of the total cost. At the other extreme, the poor and the very ill are eligible for federal insurance (Medicare or Medicaid) to cover costs.

In between, for those who are neither very poor, nor very sick, there are the AIDS Drug Assistance Programs (ADAP) and pharmaceutical company assistance programs.

If you're unsure, I'd certainly recommend a discussion with your AIDS Service Organization (ASO) or case manager.

I hope that this helps.

BY

happy holidays
switching therapy when undetectable