Tangelos and HIV med interactions?
Dec 16, 2008
I know that if you are on HIV meds you should not eat grapefruits but what about tangelos, a hybrid between grapefruit and tangerines?
I found this reference online which saya fro statins, it is Ok to eat tangelos. Does the same apply for HIV meds?
Studies by the USDA have so far shown that unlike grapefruit, interactions with statins are not likely with tangelos, even though it is derived from a grapefruit crossed with a tangerine. This is apparently because the furocoumarins in grapefruit are not expressed in tangelos.
1. ^ http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FCS/FlaFoodFare/Tangelo.pdf accessed 2008-04-26 2. ^ http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=175058
Response from Dr. Young
Thank you for your post.
I would agree with your conclusions. Even with grapefruit, you'd have to consume huge quantities for there to be a very significant interaction.
So, enjoy the tangelos. Happy holidays, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- HIV Risk After Vaginal Sex Condom Broke
- Does HIV Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
- HIV Risk Sex With A Prostitute
- How Long Do I Wait To Get Tested After Sex With A Prostitute?
- Flu Symptoms After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Anal Sex Top Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.