Newly diagnosed +ve

Dear Sir, My name is Mohd. I'm 28 yo & I'm from Malaysia. I've diagnosed +ve in July. I went to the General Hospital yesterday to get my CD4 & CD8 count.

These are the results:-

Total white cell : 8.2 x10^9/L

Lymphocytes: 3.8 x 10^9/L

CD4 : 379 cells/uL

CD4 % : 9.9%

CD8 : >2000 cells/uL

Total CD3 : 2703 cells/uL

CD4/CD8 : <0.19%

CD4/CD3 : 0.14%

CD8/CD3 : >0.74%

Could you please summarize the above-said figures? Those figures are still ok? I mean- healthy number right?

I've been informed by the doctor that i'm not require any medication yet since my CD4 count is still high. Thus, I want to try conventional treatment such as Homeopathy or the newly Transfer Factor Product. But I'm not so sure those treatments are really beneficial or will be wasting my time & money? Any clinical proven?

I don't know how long I can live. Really hope to get your response soonest possible.

Thank you for your post from Malaysia.

First off, I would pay very close attention to your CD4 counts. While your absolute CD4 count is relatively intact, it's actually very close to the currently recommended threshold of 350 for starting HIV treatments. Furthermore, your CD4 percentage is well below a range where I would delay treatment. A percentage of 9.9% should typically correlate to a absolute count of about 150. Indeed, we typically expect a CD4 count of 200 to correlate to a CD4% of 15. Taken together, I disagree with your doctor-- I would recommend starting combination HIV therapy if a repeat lab test confirms these borderline numbers.

As for alternative therapies, if you've been a reader of my responses here, you'll understand that I'm not a big proponent of homeopathy or herbal treatments (like TFP). As I can research online, there have been no well-designed studies about TFP and HIV. I'm very concerned about the unregulated, over-promotion of the health benefits of such products. To this point, despite much hoopla about the cardiovascular and cancer protection for vitamin C, a recent well designed, enormous study has failed to show any benefit. Hence, like the medical oncology societies, I believe that the best nutritional supplement isn't one that you purchase as a pill, but rather a balanced diet that's rich in fruit, grains and fish, and low in fried and fatty foods.

Lastly, provided that you are willing to do the homework, adhere to best medical advice and medications, and have access to a reliable, continuous source of antiretroviral medications, I'd forecast that you will live a normal, or near-normal life expectancy.

So, I hope that this helps. Please feel free to write me back here at TheBody.com anytime.

BY

My life
HUGE drop - please help