Taking ONLY Combiv

Hi, I am a volunteer working with PLWHA. Recently, a PLWHA told me that he is only given Combiv for his HIV regime - I was shocked.

Upon further probing, I understand that he has lost over 40kg in the last 4 months and he is also suffering from Hepatitis B and C.

I am not a medical doctor but I am still shocked that he is only on Combiv. Please advice is there such a possibility?

Thanks for your post.

You're correct; it would be very highly unusual for a person to be receiving AZT+3TC (Combivir) alone. About the only circumstance when we will see this are among really long-term patients who were started on the 2 NRTI regimen back in the day (early 1990's) and were lucky enough to achieve undetectable viral loads.

The fact that your client has very significant weight loss says to me that there is much going on that isn't right-- perhaps starting with the HIV treatment regimen.

BY

Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir
When to start Atripla?