Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir
Dec 6, 2008

My doctor has suggested a first line treatment of Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir. I keep looking and looking online but I've seen no one who is on this combo. Is it uncommon? What is your opinion of it, in respect to possible lipo effects? Can triglyceride levels be monitored to head off those changes? Is this combo better for a naive patient than Atripla? I am meeting with my Doctor next week, are there specific questions I should ask? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Response from Dr. DeJesus

Lexiva, Norvir and Epzicom have been found to be an effective regimen in clinical trials. In current treatment guidelines this combination it is not considered a "Preferred" regimen, but an "Alternative" one, but it is certainly effective and generally well-tolerated.

There are situations in which that particular regimen maybe more beneficial for a patient that the other ones listed as "Preferred" regimens. Perhaps, based on your medical history or labs, your doctor decided that this particular regimen was going to be more beneficial to you over others.

Also, some physicians may feel more comfortable selecting a specific regimen over others for their patients. It is not necessarily wrong, but you certainly have the right to question why this particular regimen was selected for you over others more conventional regimens.

Previous
HIV misdiagnosis?
Next
Taking ONLY Combiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.