Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir

My doctor has suggested a first line treatment of Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir. I keep looking and looking online but I've seen no one who is on this combo. Is it uncommon? What is your opinion of it, in respect to possible lipo effects? Can triglyceride levels be monitored to head off those changes? Is this combo better for a naive patient than Atripla? I am meeting with my Doctor next week, are there specific questions I should ask? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Response from Dr. DeJesus

Lexiva, Norvir and Epzicom have been found to be an effective regimen in clinical trials. In current treatment guidelines this combination it is not considered a "Preferred" regimen, but an "Alternative" one, but it is certainly effective and generally well-tolerated.

There are situations in which that particular regimen maybe more beneficial for a patient that the other ones listed as "Preferred" regimens. Perhaps, based on your medical history or labs, your doctor decided that this particular regimen was going to be more beneficial to you over others.

Also, some physicians may feel more comfortable selecting a specific regimen over others for their patients. It is not necessarily wrong, but you certainly have the right to question why this particular regimen was selected for you over others more conventional regimens.

HIV misdiagnosis?
Taking ONLY Combiv