The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anal sex
Dec 6, 2008

i contracted hiv from my gay partner , hiv-1.I have tried all the condoms on the market and have a severe reaction to them.I am the receiver in the relashionship and still have sex without a it ok to have unprotected sex ?

Response from Dr. DeJesus

For the most part, it is never OK (advisable) to have unprotected sex. I am assuming that your partner is not on HIV medications, or has been treated with HIV meds successfully. If you were HIV negative and having unprotected sex with your positive partner, that would have been the main indication for him to be on HIV medications and reduce the chances to transmit the infection to you.

Regarding if you can continue to have unprotected sex with him at this point now that you have sero-converted to positive, there are many issues to consider, such as, does he have any other potential infection that is also sexually transmitted, such as hepatitis? Are you guys in a strictly monogamous relationship? Are either of you at risk of introducing another infection into your intimacy?

Re-acquisition of HIV infection with a different and more resistant virus strain is a rare but possible event. So, the short answer, unless you can answer all those questions above, and both of you have controlled HIV infection (with undetectable viral load) and you are in a monogamous relationship: engaging in unprotected anal intercourse carries too much risk.

Drug resistance
hiv+ and vitamins

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint