how resistance to med happens

Hello doctors, thank you for this excellent site. My question is just from a curiousity, but if I bleed and the blood comes in contact back to myself, for example, I cut my finger and suck my own blood when I have open soar in my mouth or when you brush your teeth and your gum bleed come in contact with another part of gum that has soar, does that put me on the risk of resistance to meds at all? I have been on Atripla for about 18 months and doing well on it so I almost boubt that is likely, but I was wondering if my own blood can put myself on any risk of resistance for any reason. I hope this question makes sense to you.

Thanks for your post.

You can't reinfect yourself.

So, coming in contact with your own blood can't increase the risk of drug resistance. Getting in contact with someone else's virus could (through super-infection), though this is generally uncommon.

What causes drug resistance (other than superinfection) is missing too many doses of your medications, or failing to adhere to diet or medications restrictions. In the case of Atripla, there aren't any dietary restrictions of note; so, just work on staying as adherent to your drug regimen as possible.

Have a happy (American) holiday weekend,

BY

missed dose
methadone