How to take Atripla?

Should I take it before dinner and how long do I need to wait before eating? What about alcohol with dinner?

Response from Dr. DeJesus

Atripla is a combination of three different drugs: efavirenz (Sustiva), tenofovir (Viread) and emtricitabine (Emtriva). In reality, they all, the individual components or the Atripla coformulation, can potentially be taken with or without food. Normally, the Sustiva component (or Atripla) is better taken initially without food. Two hours after a meal, preferably before going to bed, appears to be the best time to take it, to better tolerate or get use to some of the potential side effects. But it also can be taken with food, it is just that food is known to increase or expedite the absorption on the Sustiva into your system. This increase in absorption has been associated with some undesirable side effects, such as dizziness, or some sleep disturbances. But some patients do not get these symptoms at all. My advise, take it two hours after your meal, before going to bed. Later, if you want or find it more convenient, you may want to try to take it closer to a meal, and test yourself to see if you are able to tolerate it. Casual alcohol or mild consumption, of wine, like during diner should have no effect the Atripla activity.

can i switch med?
new hiv meds