atripla causes LIPO

HI there my doc just recently informed me that atripla causes lipo. Is there any scientific literature to back this up?

Thank you for your post.

The first and most important thing to recognize about HIV and lipo is that there are multiple factors that are associated with the development of fat changes. Only one (albeit and important one) are HIV medications.

The development of lipodystrophy is associated with most HIV medications in one way or another-- I take this to mean that other factors, like the presence of HIV or having an abnormal CD4 cell count are playing a role. Some medications are associated with greater risk, for example, d4T and AZT are clearly associated with greater rates of body fat loss, or lipoatrophy.

I believe that the study that your doctor is referring to is ACTG 5142- in this study, 12% patients that received tenofovir+3TC+efavirenz (a combination very similar to Atripla) developed more than 20% loss of fat in the limbs- a rate that was more frequent (though not statistically significantly greater) than patients who received tenofovir+3TC+lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra). In other studies of the Atripla medications, clinically observed cases of lipo were very rare, or the studies did not accurately measure fat changes.

I hope this helps,

BY

adherence
kidney failure