Starting Atripla

Hello. Thank you for this vital forum! The treatment guidelines posted on November 3, 2008 do not include Atripla as a first line of drug use. I'm 31, have been HIV+ for 2 years; never been on meds before. Have a history of Hep C (which I cleared through medication) and Hep B (inactive). I'm also taking Wellbutrin and Effexor for depression. My VL is 300,000 and CD4 is 306. My doctor is recommending Atripla. Would you agree with this assessment or would you recommend another medication combination? Thank you!

Thank you for your post.

The medications in Atripla are among the most highly recommended and well tested options- endorsed in the November 2008 US Department of Health and Human Services treatment guidelines.

There are limited reasons why these medications might not be best for you- namely if you have significant risk of- or have kidney disease, perhaps bone disease, or active psychiatric issues. The use of tenofovir+FTC as part of your regimen would be highly recommended in the case of active hepatitis B.

The real point is that we have several well tested options for first line treatment of HIV- make sure that you're aware of all of your options, your health status and consider any lifestyle factors (like when you work/sleep) in the decision about which medications are best fit for you (and your virus).

I hope this helps. Best of health to you.

BY

M41L & T215
Staying On Atripla