spin out

I've been on Efeverannz and Truvavda for just over 6 weeks. The first days were horrific. Now it's just awful. How long do I suffer for before throwing in the towel and jumping onto another regime? After a couple of hours of taking the drugs I am buzzing like a bee and speeding off my face. I can't sleep and hence I'm exhaussted for the day. It's almost impossible to work. I don't mind the dreams, it's just the buzzing and drugged out feeling that hasn't passed. I here for some people it goes away, but at what point do I put up my hand for help....(HELP!!) This is my first regime and I'm told it's the best regime, so I don't want to be a failure. Should I hang in there, and for how much longer??? If a switch is on the cards, what do you recommend? Cheers.

Thanks for your post.

Six weeks seems like more than a good college try- if you're side effects are awful, I'd think that there's a slim to no chance that they're going to get better.

Yes, you're on a very popular first-line treatment, but there are a number of alternatives to the efavirenz (the one that's most likely causing your symptoms).

We would typically replace the efavirenz with a boosted protease inhibitor (in our clinic, this has typically been atazanavir or fosamprenavir); alternatively, one could stay within the NNRTI class with a switch to nevirapine.

I'd suggest talking to your doctor about what might be best for you.

Good luck, BY

Please Help me
Medication