Reyataz Side Effects

My mother is infected with HIV in 2000 (CD4 Count-187).Under expert advice she started the treatment with NNRTI Combination of Lamivudine 150mg,Stavudine -40mg and Nevirapine -200mg (Triomune 40 pack of Cipla in India).Her count was incresed to 669 in 2001 and 531 in 2004 and 416 in 2006.Our expert has changed the drugs to REYATAZ in 07.My mother is facing side effects of this drug in form of Hogher levels of Bilurubin.Pls suggest can we go back to the previous NNRTI drugs for my mother?

Thank you for your post from India.

Increased levels of bilirubin are not uncommon among persons taking atazanavir (Reyataz). For most, this is simply a laboratory value abnormality and does not result in any medical toxicity. When atazanavir is boosted with ritonavir (Norvir) about 4-5% of persons will notice some yellowing of the eyes or skin- again in clinical trials, this only rarely results in the need to change medications.

If in the end, your mother and her doctor decide and if her viral load was undetectable when she switched off of nevirapine, she can definitely switch back without consequences.

I hope this helps,

BY

Prezista Underdosing
pep