splitting Atripla dose

Hi, I started taking Atripla three weeks ago and, like many people, have the side-effect of sleepiness/loopiness about 1.5-2 hrs after taking it. Here's the situation: I am on call a lot for my job, and that sometimes entails working nights, which is when I take the Atripla. Since I'm still having the sleepiness side-effect from the Atripla, my doctor suggested splitting the pill in half with a pill cutter and taking half first then taking the other half 4 hours later. This in an effort to reduce the sleepiness side-effect and not effect my ability to work effectively at night. Is this dangerous? Am I risking making myself resistant to the Atripla by splitting the dose over four hours?

By the way, I used to be a patient of Dr. Young when I lived in Denver. He's a great guy and encouraged me to stop using drugs. Good news, Dr. Young: I've been completely drug and alcohol free for over 19 months now. Just wanted to thank you for the excellent care I received.

Hello and thanks for your post.

It is great to hear that you're doing well and I appreciate your comments.

I've not (nor have heard of) tried this approach to deal with efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin, part of Atripla) side effects. I don't think that it is particularly dangerous, per se, since the half-lives of the drugs are so long. However, for exactly the same reasons, I'm not sure that this will have much effect on the severity of your side effects.

I'm actually more concerned about your job and need to work nights-- knowing this I really don't think that an efavirenz-based treatment makes sense for you. Given the need for evening dosing and your known side effects, I have to wonder if an alternative drug to partner with the tenofovir+FTC is a better fit for you. We've got lots of well-studied alternatives-- I'd consider switching to a ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitor (we've have had very good results with atazanavir (Reyataz) or fosamprenavir (Lexiva/Telzir)). I'll use these whenever I have a patient who must (even occasionally) work nights.

In the end, let us know what you and your healthcare provider decide and how things turn out. Best of health,

BY

Late Diagnosis of HIV
Need some HIV specialists in Lebanon