Time to change meds?

I am 54 years old and was diagnosed HIV+ about a year ago and have been on Atripla for 8 months and never missed a dose. My initial labs wereCD4 480 (26%) VL 3990, Labs every 2-3 months have been: 920 (21%) 2270, (Started HAART), 677 (26%) <50, 647 (28%) <75, and my latest was CD4 553 (33%) VL<75. My tri-glycerides are 244 and I started on Lopid last week. Alkaline Phosphatase has been somewhat elevated going from 90 to latest reading of 290. Ive had no noticeable side effects from the Atripla. The only Infectious Disease Specialist in my town left in July so Ive been seeing a Family Medicine physician since then. Do my labs look like positive progress or a failure re: CD4?? Ive had no OI, but have gone from 135lbs to 110lbs during this time. The closest ID Specialist in my state is 250 miles away. Should I consider seeing a specialist to evaluate my meds and consider a change?

Thanks for your post 54'er.

You're not experiencing treatment failure at all. If you look closely at your CD4 percentages, these show a steady increase; entirely indicative of improving immune function. The thing that throws you (and many people) off is over reading the absolute CD4 count. It's not surprising to me to see quite a bit of variation, especially since the absolute number is in the normal range.

The only thing that concerns me is your weight loss and the increase in your alkaline phosphatase. I'd bring this to the attention of your FP doctor and save on the gasoline for the trip to the other ID doctor for now.

Best of health to you,

BY

Drug resistance
RE:Time to change meds?-Thank you