Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To the writer from Thailand
Oct 7, 2008

Hi Dr. Young,

Not a question from me, but a comment to the reader who wrote from Thailand:

There are indeed some very good docs in Thailand. I happen to know one in Bangkok, Dr. Nick Walters of Mission Hospital (also called Bangkok Adventist Hospital). He provides care for my fiancee (a Thai resident), and he is absolutely excellent. I can't say enough nice things about this man.

I also want to tell your reader that the meds are good in Thailand, probably almost comparable with the U.S., if not exactly comparable. There is a governmental administration called the GPO, or Government Pharmaceutical Office. The supervise the manufactur of the local generic equivalent of several of the more common meds. The only problem is that they tend to favor d4T, which has resulted in disproportionately high reported rates of lipoatrophy among Thai patients. However, newer meds are making their way into the marketplace, including Kaletra and a combination you that can be assembled using the locally-available components of Tenofovir, 3TC, and Stocrin (efavirenz). This is what my fiancee takes, with good results (and decent price).

If your reader is in BKK, I encorage him or her to go see Dr. Nick. He's absolutely great, and the prices at Mission Hospital for doctors' services are unbelievably low.

Thanks for reading this.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your report from Bangkok.

It's great to hear reports from patients and their families about their experiences; this is of incredible value to our readers.

BY

Previous
Atripla Experience
Next
More information re: Thailand

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.