Truvada side effects

Dear Dr. I was recently switched from Videx/Epivir/Viramune comboination that I had been on for 11 years with no side effects and undetectable viral loads for all of that time. This was done because my doctor was concern about long term toxicity with taking Videx. I've been switched to Truvada/Viramune as of last week and have been experiencing bad dizziness and it is making it very hard to function. Will this go away and how long will it take? I've been in touch with my doctors office so they know. I just feel like I should have stayed on the previous combo and now a can of worms has been opened with making this switch. Thank you so much for your information.

Thanks for your post.

Your case illustrates the "ain't broke-don't fix" theorem. I generally don't insist that patients switch very well tolerated medication regimens, especially if they've been on the regimen for years without toxicity or issues with adherence. On the other hand, if there are active issues with toxicity, side effects or dosing, then a switch can very often result in improvements in quality of life and effectiveness of the treatment.

It certainly sounds like you've developed new side effects after switching from your previous regimen to Truvada. The symptoms that you describe are unusual for Truvada (which is usually very well tolerated, and if anything, rarely associated with mild nausea).

Many of these types of side effects improve within the first week or two of the new treatment, but if they should persist, I'd certainly let your doctor know.

Let us know how things evolve for you, and best of health,

BY

wondering the safety on meds
Facial loss for +ve brother