New Diagnosis

I have been recently diagnosed at HIV+ My last test was 3 years ago and I tested negative. My viral load is 470 and my CD4 is 293. my doctor said that I am "golden" as far as mynumbers are concerned. He has choosen to wait on any medication, with the exception of a pneumonia vaccine. I am wondering, Am I as "golden" as golden gets with HIV and should I insist on medication. Also what is the danger of reinfection. I hear alot about positive men having unsafer sex, whats the downside to practicing unsafe now?

Thanks for your post.

I'm not sure how one defines "golden", but you do have a low HIV viral load; on the other hand, your CD4 count is below the current thresholds to recommend starting HIV medications. In this regard, I very strongly disagree with your doctor.

As you can read on these pages, we recommend starting HIV medications when CD4 counts are reproducibly below 350- with a CD4 of less than 300, if confirmed by repeat tests, I'd recommend medications for you.

I'd agree that getting a Pneumococcal ("Pneumonia) vaccination is a good idea (as it is for all HIV+ persons).

Safer habits is a very good idea, not just because you prevent transmission of HIV to others but also to reduce the risk that you might acquire someone's less golden infections- including drug resistant HIV, syphilis or hepatitis.

Best of health to you, BY

what time is fit for pregnancy?
just checking...