When to take Meds

Hi, I'm on Viramune+Truvada and take one of each in the morning and one Viramune at night. I find that after I take the Viramune+Truvada in the morning it gives me a headache and pressure feeling in the head which makes it hard to concentrate. Is it ok to switch and take the Viramune+Truvada at night and the one Viramune in the morning would this help? What about taking all 3 pills at night is that ok? Thanks.

Response from Dr. DeJesus

Good news for you.

You do not have to be that strict on the timing when you are taking this combination of medications. Both Truvada (the coformulation of Viread and Emtriva), as well as Viramune have very long half lives, which means that these drugs stay in your system for a long time after you have taken the dose. This attribute make possible for these drugs to be taken not only late, but either in the morning or at night.

Also, because the long half-life on these medications, once your viral load becomes undetectable you may have the option to switching your regimen to a once a day regimen, taking both Viramune and the Truvada once daily, in the morning or at night.

Viramune is not yet FDA approved for once daily administration, but the pharmacokinetic studies are very clear that this drug can be taken once a day in patients initially tolerating the twice daily dose well. Good luck!

UN-INFORMED
When to take atripla when you're moving across the country