Hep B.

I have been on meds for the last 4 years. I'm currently on Atripla. I had hep. B 13 years ago. I have always be under the impression that I would always test positive for Hep. B but I was recently told by my doctor that I tested Non-Reactive for Hep. B. Could the meds I'm on eliminate the Hep. B virus from my core?

Response from Dr. DeJesus

That is a good question, unfortunately I do not have enough information to determine what happened in you case. The interpretation of hepatitis B serologies can be a bit complex for an untrainned person.

If you had originally chronic active hepatitis B for many years before you started HIV meds, it is very unlikely that the hepatitis B core has now dissapaired, or that you have now developed a resolved (or immunity) to hepatitis B infection.

I have the feeling there is some important part of the information missing. What could have happenned is that your hepatitis B maybe now "undetectable", because two of the components in Atripla are very effective in treating HBV as well.

Still confused?... ask your doctor what is your HBV viral load?, HB-surface Ag, HB-surface AB, and your HB-core Ab (IgG), and write back with those results.

Thanks for posting your question

Viral Load in the millions
Undetectable after 6 weeks.