Is it possible

My doctor is sending me for a 2nd opinion b/c my HIV Elisa and Western blots are repeatedly positive but HIV-1 PCR, HIV-2 PCR and RVA bDNA ALL UNDETECTABLE; CMV Ab abo postive, CD4/CD8 1,661...My doctor is wondering if this is a false postive. Your opinion is greatly appreiate.

Thanks for your post.

This situation is not impossible at all, though very, very uncommon. There are well documented cases of persons who are repeatedly antibody and Western blot positive, who have undetectable HIV viral levels in blood.

One additional test that we will consider running is a HIV DNA (yes, DNA, not RNA) PCR. The former detects HIV genetic material integrated into infected cells, the later looks for circulating free virus in the blood.

In any event, I'd consider you to be HIV positive, but very likely to have very slow disease progression, if any.

Best of health, BY

Risk of transmission while on PEP
theraphy with only 2 drugs?