Viral Loads Decreased

I recently was tested with the following results: 07/19/08:CD4:174 /CD4% 12.7/VL 93,200 01/04/08: CD4:306 / CD4% 20.1 / VL 351,200 I am thinking of starting Meds on Monday, but the VL is throwing me and the numbers printed above are correct. What am I to make of them, why such a vast difference. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for your post.

Your labs do indeed show a large variation- it isn't clear exactly why this is the case. One explanation is that one of the two determinations were done while you were ill; alternatively one could simply be a mishandled specimen.

I note that there was a six month interval between lab tests; when one is faced with decisions about starting medications, I wouldn't recommend such a long interval, rather if anything, a shorter than the usual US-recommended 3-4 month period.

In any event, both sets of numbers strongly support an indication to start HIV meds.

Best of health to you; let us know how the first days go.

BY

Risky to delay beginning treatment another 3 months? Already cd4 360, doctor wants to wait
Looking for HIV/AIDS Specialist