have them but scared to start

hi doc,i have been poz for 8 yrs and went to my id doc today and they prescribe me atripla i am very depressed since this i got it filled and just trying to gain courage to start,what are the side effects i am also sickle cell trait have high blood please help need advise........

Thank you for your post.

I'd encourage you to search our forum for lots of information about side effects and the tolerability of treatments.

For most persons, Atripla is quite well tolerated, once getting past the initial psychological side effects (vivid dreams, etc). These effects usual fade quickly over the course of a few days.

Sickle trait and high blood pressure don't impact things directly, though I'd be sure that you and your doctor monitor your blood pressure and kidney function (as is usual medical practice).

If your doctor and you have decided that it's time to start medications, then I'd do so-- waiting only increases your risk of having HIV complications (and actually raises one's risk of having side effects from medications). If your still uncertain, discuss the why's with your healthcare provider.

Best of health to you,

resolution of side effects after PEP therapy