is this normal cd4 percentage?

Dear doc Young, thanks for your great job. my question is my girlfriend is HIV+ since 2001.we live here in Hong Kong.now her latest lab result is CD4count 301 , viral load is 1100 and CD4 percentage is 7.5 here in Hong Kong, doctor recomend treatment only after CD4 count falls below 200.so my girlfriend is not in treatment yet. I have read in your site that CD4percentage below 14 is very bad.but her doc tell us no need to worry. so we are so confused.so Dr.Young, what is your opinion on my girlfriends CD4percentage?once again thanks for your great job.

Thank you for your post from Hong Kong; my mother's family had lived there many years ago.

Different countries use different standards and interpretation of labs about when to start medications. That said, if your GFs labs confirm a CD4 percentage of approximately 7, then if she were my patient, I'd recommend treatment.

The thing is, a typical CD4 percentage of 7.5 is equivalent to an absolute CD4 count of 100 (not 300). A CD4 count of 100 would definitely be an indication to start medications.

So, while it's not critical that she start on medications immediately (it rarely is), I would be thinking about initiation in the near future.

Best of health both of you,

BY

your opinion highly welcome
Kaletra and Truvada side effect