HIV MEDS AND VIRAL LOAD

My husband was diagnosed with HIV a month ago and his viral load got up to 100,000 and cd4 was 8. He started on Atripla and we will know the results of his new tests in a few weeks. If he becomes non detected will he be able to stop his meds or will he have to continue forever? I work for an Infectious Disease doctor and my impression is that if you continue medication while being undetected, you will become resistant to it. I'm a little confused.

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but know that so long as he takes his medications, his health should improve and stay healthy for many, many years to come.

You are mistaken about the issue of drug resistance. Treatment failures among persons who are successfully suppressed ("undetectable") are quite rare these days. So long as adherence is maintained, and medications remain accessible, there's no reason to believe that drug resistance is inevitable.

Best of luck to you and your husband,

BY

Missing Eozicom for 40 hours to have been taken with Norvir and Reyataz
Just diagnosised/treatment