Garlic and Hiv

I just read online that Garlic can interfere with hiv medications,is this true? I mentioned this awhile back to my doctor and she said she never heard that and that it`s good for me ? Please help ! Dave

This is an important issue.

There have only been a handful of supplements whose safety and drug interactions with HIV medications have been well studied. Even then, it's only a subset of HIV drugs that have been analyzed.

Yes, garlic supplements do indeed have a very significant interaction with at least 1 HIV medication, the protease inhibitor saquinavir. This interaction is thought to be mediated by the liver cytochrome P450 system-- the same system that is responsible for the metabolism of many drugs, including other HIV medications.

For this reason, I'm very cautious in recommending the use of supplements for my patients-- I'd defer on taking extra garlic unless this is discussed with your doctor and pharmacist. If they're not sure, a Google or PubMed search might help you.

Best of health, BY

My Doctors Opinion
Referral