My Doctors Opinion

I was diagnosed with HIV in November 2006. I know very little about HIV, but for some reason I feel like my Doctor may be brushing me off, and telling me that I should not start meds, when in fact I should. SO, here Is my question; (Please keep in mind I am still new to the understanding of the test results) My Results read as shown below, Should I be on meds at this time? The reason I feel uneasy is because everyone that I've spoken to that has HIV, says I should have been on meds, Long before these numbers. I just received these results today in the mail, along with a letter from my Dr. that says everything looks fine, and should not worry. Should I be comfortable with that?

CD4 Absolute L 349

CD4 T Lymphs L 15

CD8 T Lymphs H 1522

CD8 T Lymphs H 64

Thanks for your post.

With your results (if confirmed by repeated testing), it's probably time to consider starting HIV medications. Current US and international treatment guidelines all agree (imagine the US and French governments agreeing on something-- it must be universally accepted); if your CD4 is below 350 it's time. Moreover, your CD4 percentage of 15 is at the threshold that many consider an AIDS level.

So, while every patient is different and poses individual needs and concerns, it's my general recommendation to start.

I hope this helps and wish you well.

BY

NEwArT Study
Garlic and Hiv