Lipodystrophy

I have excess weight gain in the stomach and have tried everything. I think it's due to taking a combo of Reyataz, Truvada, and Novir. Since Reyetaz is known to cause wight gain, if I switched the reyetez for Fosamprenavir would the extra pounds come off?

Thanks, Tony

Thanks for your post.

While it is common to observe weight gain among persons starting on HIV therapy, there is little data that would suggest that protease inhibitors are better or worse than non-nukes.

So, in your case, I can't say that the atazanavir (Reyataz) is responsible, per se, or that fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir) would fare better.

A very nice review of this point was written by my co-author, Dr. David Wohl, and appears here at TheBody.

Best of health to you, BY

STARTED TREATMENT
Number of meds needed