STARTED TREATMENT

I am 35yr old South African. My doctor started me on Combivir and Stocrin and on my second week I developed a severe itchy rush. Which of the above 2 drugs could be causing the rush and can't it be replaced instead of changing the regimen? Today he has changed me to Kaletra, AZT and Videx, haven't started on them as yet. Is this the next best combination as I fear experiencing liver problems - LFT is still OK for now. Please advise, I am really worried about the new drugs.

Thanks for your post from RSA.

It's very likely that your rash is due to the efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva). The medications in Combivir (AZT, 3TC) are only very rarely associated with rash.

Hence, it's not really necessary to change out the entire drug regimen, rather one could continue the Combivir and switch from Stocrin to nevirapine (Viramune) or Kaletra.

A regimen of Combivir+ Kaletra is generally a more conventional regimen than the one that your doctor has prescribed.

I hope this helps.

BY

Atripla working great
Lipodystrophy