going back to original meds after switching??

I am seriously considering changing my meds even though they are working fine. If I change them, but later discover new meds are not effective, is it possible to go back to the original meds? I am taking Combivir and Stocrit and am worried about the body-changing effects of the Combivir, and I am having serious trouble dealing with the CNS effects of the Stocrit. I have been on these meds for two months with an initial CD4 of 44 and a viral load of 740,000. I am already feeling healthier thanks to the meds, which is why I am curious whether or not I can come back to them if I try a combo with less side effects.

Thanks for all your help. You guys really are amazing.

Thanks for your post.

Switching medications because of side effects and in the absence of suspected drug resistance is generally ok. Should the new regimen result in unanticipated side effects, then a switch back to the old regimen is usually acceptable.

I'm careful about switching while viral loads are detectable, simply because it is difficult to assess fully if the regimen is working optimally or not (ie, if there's any risk of drug resistance).

Lastly, any time after a treatment change (even if for side effects or in the event of a switch back), I'll try to obtain a viral load test about 1 month after the change to be sure that here is no unexpected issue with medication potency.

I hope this helps, BY

Chronic HIV Infection
neurothopy in Toes