me again...

Hi Dr, thanks for your immediate response to my "cd4<50 and terrified" question yesterday... My big concern right now is that i remember the dr telling me almost 2 weeks ago, -when he started my case, blood work, etc- that in case of finding an emergency he would call me right away...but he never did, intstead, while at the clinic for other reasons, the nurse approached me the cd4<50 news and the prop prescriptions... i know my next appointment with him is next monday 16, but still, isnt such a low count already an emergency and wasnt he supposed to put me on HAART the moment he found out my tragic labs? i know my next appointment with him is next monday 16, but still... after this i cant help to be a litttle paranoid and think that either i have something terminal and theres no bothering in complicating with HAART, or I tested resistant for all posible treatment, which i have been reading is possible, but how common is this? any other possible reasons im not aware of? as a doctor do you see this as normal? should i tell him my concern on monday? or does he know what he is doing? please tell me!...once again thanks for being there..

Thanks for your follow up.

Starting HIV medications is never an emergency-- there are just too many factors that need to be considered and education/counseling to be done.

At the very least getting the results of resistance testing is highly recommended-- having resistance to an important component of first-line treatment is found in as many as 10-15 percent of US patients. It's also important to get results of other tests, like hepatitis antibodies, liver, kidney function tests before selecting (and starting treatment); hence I'd express your interest to start medications as soon as possible, but overall, I don't see any reason to suspect that your doctor is doing anything out the ordinary.

Best of luck, BY

Bitterness
Chronic HIV Infection