Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

me again...
Jun 14, 2008

Hi Dr, thanks for your immediate response to my "cd4<50 and terrified" question yesterday... My big concern right now is that i remember the dr telling me almost 2 weeks ago, -when he started my case, blood work, etc- that in case of finding an emergency he would call me right away...but he never did, intstead, while at the clinic for other reasons, the nurse approached me the cd4<50 news and the prop prescriptions... i know my next appointment with him is next monday 16, but still, isnt such a low count already an emergency and wasnt he supposed to put me on HAART the moment he found out my tragic labs? i know my next appointment with him is next monday 16, but still... after this i cant help to be a litttle paranoid and think that either i have something terminal and theres no bothering in complicating with HAART, or I tested resistant for all posible treatment, which i have been reading is possible, but how common is this? any other possible reasons im not aware of? as a doctor do you see this as normal? should i tell him my concern on monday? or does he know what he is doing? please tell me!...once again thanks for being there..

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your follow up.

Starting HIV medications is never an emergency-- there are just too many factors that need to be considered and education/counseling to be done.

At the very least getting the results of resistance testing is highly recommended-- having resistance to an important component of first-line treatment is found in as many as 10-15 percent of US patients. It's also important to get results of other tests, like hepatitis antibodies, liver, kidney function tests before selecting (and starting treatment); hence I'd express your interest to start medications as soon as possible, but overall, I don't see any reason to suspect that your doctor is doing anything out the ordinary.

Best of luck, BY

Previous
Bitterness
Next
Chronic HIV Infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.